Log inLog Out
For YouNewsEntertainmentRelationshipLifestyleSportTechnology
BOOM! I Will Send Hunters After Boko Haram If Military Cannot Secure Baga – Borno Governor Blows Hot

Progress

July. 31, 2020

In reaction to the recent attack on his convoy, the Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has stated that he will deploy hunters if the military is unable to secure Baga.
Recall that Governor Zulum had departed Maiduguri, the state capital on Monday afternoon for the northern part of the state in continuation of the food distribution programme which he started earlier in July.
On Wednesday, he was scheduled to visit Baga, a fishing town on the shores of the Lake Chad region which has been under the control of insurgents for many years until the military declared its liberation, insisting no Nigerian territory is under the control of Boko Haram.
But, few kilometers to Baga, gunmen opened fire on the Governor and his entourage.
The Governor was forced to retreat as security operatives on escort duties repelled the attackers.
Expressing his displeasure over the attack on his convoy the governor noted that he was going to give the military some time and if they still could not restore peace in the community, he would be forced to send hunters to do their jobs.
He said, “We have over 1,181 soldiers in Baga; 72 officers, 107 soldiers, 400 soldiers in Mile 4 and 1,900 soldiers in Monguno. I see no reason why Boko Haram will not stop to operate in Baga town.
“The troops have been in Mile 4 for over one year, there is complete sabotage, the problem is not with President Buhari, or General Buratai but the command and control structures. There is a need to look into the command structure.
“We have over 80,000 IDPs in Monguno, they cannot continue to depend on NGOs and others for food, we have created an opportunity for them to go back to their communities and continue with their business and farming activities.”
He said: “After Sallah, we will go back to Kukawa. We will give time to the military; but if they will not clear Baga, we will mobilise our hunters and vigilantes to recapture Baga… we can’t continue like this. People have to take their destiny in their hands.”
Meanwhile, the military authorities in a statement by the spokesman of the Army, Col. Sagir Musa, who confirmed the attack on the convoy of the governor, said it would investigate the attack on the convoy.
Musa said. “The unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the Governor and his entourage departed the Super Camp to visit other parts of Baga town. The incident forced the Governor to abort his planned movement to Baga.
“Although, details of the unfortunate incident are sketchy and under investigation, efforts are ongoing to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers. An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack.
“Regrettably, this is an isolated and most unfortunate incident that occurred in a territory where normalcy has since been restored with socio-economic activities picking up. The Nigerian Army wants to reassure the general public that this will be interrogated with a view to forestalling future re-occurrence.
“Additionally, Nigerian Army wishes to inform the general public that it will continue to discharge its responsibilities professionally with respect for the fundamental human rights of all Nigerians and in compliance with the extant rules of engagement. 
"The good people of Baga town and indeed the entire Borno State are enjoined to continue to provide credible information that will assist the security agencies to successfully combat terrorism as well as apprehend and flush out the perpetrators of the attack.”
Watch The Attack On Borno Governor In The Video Below
0
Comments
Sign in to post a message
You're the first to comment.
Say something
Recommend
Log in