24 Birthday Gift Ideas For The Friend Who Always Says, "Don't Get Me Anything"
Feb. 13, 2020
Sweet gifts that prove it's the thought that counts.
1. A delicious box of British chocolates because, try as they might, it'll be really hard for them to not eat the entire box in two days.
Promising review: " Yooooo these British people know what's up! Dat Double Decker doe 😱😱😱 But seriously, these candy bars are amazing! I had my doubts about the Picnic bar but it's really, really good. My personal favorite so far (still two I haven't eaten yet) was the Starbar — peanut butter, caramel, rice crispy pieces, chocolate...What's not to love, really? Why the heck don't they sell these in America, dammit?! I threw mine in the fridge as soon as I got them. I pull one out about a couple of minutes before I eat it, so it's still cool and doesn't melt all over the place. Works great. This chocolate really does MELT on contact with just about anything that's not refrigerated. Be forewarned, don't eat ANY of these candy bars while wearing white. But also keep in mind smaller bites are better. Otherwise, you might find yourself with a huge mouthful of semi-melted chocolate and nougat, trying not to drool. Er, that might potentially happen to someone other than me." — So & So So & So
Get it from Amazon for $12.99 (also available in a bag).
2. This dino-mite T-rex necklace with a super-sweet message that's sure to brighten their day.
Promising review: "I purchased this necklace as a gift for a friend who loves dinosaurs. It was super cute and the little saying on the paper is nice too. The T-rex itself is a little small but I liked that about it because it makes it more subtle when it's worn (I tend to like nerdy jewelry that is more subtle until people really see it up close). The recipient loved it and put it on right away too." — melrom
Get it from Amazon for $13 (available in three finishes).
3. A My Favorite Murder-inspired keychain perfect for reminding your favorite murderino to always take their keys with them (and always lock the beeping door!!!).
Get it from SokayDesigns on Etsy for $13 .
4. Some s'mores ChapSticks to remind them that lip hydration has never been yummier.
Promising review: "I'm obsessed with ChapStick. We lose and finish tubes left and right between me, my husband, and my kids. I can never have too many. I loved these flavors! The graham cracker one was my favorite!" — Jessica Avery
Get the pack of three from Amazon for $2.95 (available in five diffeent flavor packs).
5. This scratch-off bucket list poster so they can mark off destinations, classic movies, or songs as they experience them. Plus, they can display it on the wall in their room as a reminder of all the exciting things they have yet to discover.
Promising review: "I love, love, love this poster. Took less than two weeks to arrive from overseas. The package arrived in good condition and the posters are a nice thick card stock. Great gift for movie lovers." — Irishminx
Get it from Amazon for $13.51+ (available for music, movies, and places; frame not included).
6. A box of Monopoly Cheaters Edition that's also kinda like a gift for you too because they'll always be hitting you up to play with them.
In this version of the classic game, cheating is actually encouraged (you just can't get caught doing it). It includes cheat cards that suggest how to cheat and when to do it, and a pair of plastic handcuffs to "chain" players to the jail space if they get caught bending the rules.
Promising review: "I purchased this with the intent to give to my older brother for a birthday gift. It was somewhat a gag gift as he was always accused of cheating at Monopoly growing up, and to this day is still accused of 'cheating' on other things, although he does so playfully. He loved it, could not wait to play with his kids, especially since it was stated that a game would only be an hour or so. " — Aaron Nichols
Get it from Amazon for $15.80 (2–6 players, ages 8+).
7. Or this deck of Harry Potter-inspired Uno you'll both have endless hours of fun with on a college Saturday night in.
The game is meant to be played between two and 10 people, and for those ages seven and up. According to reviewers, instead of regular suits, the different card colors represent different Hogwarts houses, and there's one big addition: the 9 3/4 sorting hat card. When someone plays this card, the next player has to draw cards until they draw a Gryffindor card.
Promising review: "Very fun for my little Harry Potter fan! We love Uno and card games! The Harry Potter version just seemed like extra decoration, but there's actually an additional Harry Potter exclusive Wild Card with a different rule! I will say, if you don't know the colors for the houses, the rules are a bit confusing, as it refers to 'Slytherin' card instead of 'green' card. But my HP fan can quickly tell me which house belongs to which color!" — Mel
Get it from Amazon for $5.99 .
8. This set of adorable pastel kitty cat pens they can't say no to using on a daily basis whether they're creating lengthy to-do lists or doodling on the side of their planner.
Promising review: "I teach fourth grade and these pens looked perfect for my 'treasure chest'! Little did I know, I would find my own VERY FAVORITE PEN! I am a stationary FREAK, and love using all kinds of pens and pencils and these take the CAKE! I've spent $20+ on ONE PEN before. Assuming these pens were cheap, I tried one to make sure it actually wrote and low and behold, magic flowed from my fingertips. All this to say, these are perfect pens. Not just for young ones. I proudly use my kitty pens any and everywhere!" — dinosaur
Get a pack of 12 from Amazon for $6.99 (available in three styles).
9. A pretty pastel mug with a sweet, 'lil surprise that'll reveal itself after they're done drinking their morning tea or coffee. They use a mug every day so why not get them one that's actually really cute?
Promising review: "This is possibly my GF's favorite thing I've ever bought for her. Every morning she laughs about the little panda in her cup. SO CUTE." — KevinS
Get it from Amazon for $11.99+ (available in eight animals).
10. This copy of Love From The Crayons, a sweet read to put a smile on their face when they're having a bad day.
Promising review: "This a cute story, much like the other crayon story. I liked the different views on love — sometimes wonderful, other times, not so good." — kissin' cooks
Get it from Amazon for $6.24 .
11. A Mickey-themed waffle maker so they can really add a little magic to breakfasts...or any time of day.
Promising review: "I honestly love this little waffle iron more than my bigger expensive one! Waffles are a fun tradition and I wanted to surprise my family with the Mickey shape. Every waffle popped right out of the pan like a Magic Kingdom dream . So pleased with this product; I'm considering buying them as gifts for family members!" — Amanda Schinagl
Get it from Amazon for $14.99 .
12. This 50-piece message-in-a-bottle set that's made so you can hide sweet notes inside the tiny capsules as a way to remind them how much they mean to you.
Promising review: "The size of the pills were the sizes you find at the store! They are really cute! The pills had paper in them, enabling me to write cute little notes without having to look for paper and cutting it up. I was really relieved when I found out that the glass bottle came along with it too . The bottle really goes well with the pills. It would be nice if the cork cap was more secured, but I overall love this product and would recommend this as a great gift!" — Cmdrloli
Get them from Amazon for $11.99 .
13. A set of abstract earrings because they're always complaining about how boring their plain studs look.
Promising review: "IN LOVE. Surprised with the high-quality but low price. Also came with extra backs, which I really appreciate!" — Courtney
Get a set of three pairs from Amazon for $9.99 .
14. This multi-chrome nail polish so they can create an out-of-this-world mani without spending time and money at the salon.
Promising review: "This color is amazing. People stop me all the time wanting to know which salon I went to. They always think it's gel, too. I have tried it over black nail polish and it does last longer and I've tried it with just two coats and it's still beautiful." — England86
Get it from Amazon for $10 .
15. A pack of cat butt magnets they'll use to hang their favorite photos of the two of you on their otherwise bare fridge.
Promising review: "Prepare to laugh at the expense of whatever you will hold up with these cat butt magnets. Whether it be a picture of your younger siblings, or a reminder from your significant other, a cat butt will hold it steady upon your desired steel appliance. Strong neodymium magnets clench the cat butts firmly against the surface to hold your daughter's best artwork with ease." — William Insprucker
Get a set of six from Amazon for $13.88 (available in three styles).
16. This One Line A Day journal so they can fill each date with your daily adventures together for the next five years.
Promising review: "I adore this journal. It allows me to write down daily memories or thoughts and puts my current self in a good mood. I'm excited to run across my old notes as the years go on! I take this with me on travels in a storage bag. There's something special about writing on the plane, in a new city, on a beach, etc. — any time you just feel like you're experiencing a special moment." — Mikayla
Get it from Amazon for $10.17 .
17. Or this 52-week gratitude journal because it's straightforward enough to not take too much out of their busy schedule, and it might inspire them to continuously look for things to be grateful for every day.
Promising review: "Just started using this journal after being in a bit of a funk at the start of this year. I researched many different journals but this was the only one that I felt was simple, that didn't make too many 'demands' on my time, that was straightforward, in short, exactly what I was looking for. It's a simple concept and I've only been doing it for a week but I find myself looking for things to be thankful for, find myself adding lines below the three provided and writing in the margins...all because I want to..." — silkeymilkey
Get it from Amazon for $6.99 .
18. A 14k gold-dipped US state necklace that'll touch their heart because it'll remind them of their home state, or their favorite spring break vacation the two of you took together.
Promising review: "I purchased this for my sister who is a WA native living out of state. I am very happy with the quality! The necklace is delicate but doesn't look or feel cheap. I like the size of the charm and the length of the chain. I'm thinking of purchasing another for myself." — KDSeattle
Get it from Amazon for $17.98+ (available in all 50 states).
19. This mini refillable Sriracha bottle keychain so they'll always be able to take their meal to the next level no matter where they go.
Promising review: "Bought this for a friend. He loves to have his food hot and most places do not carry sauces hot enough. This allows him to take his own with him and always have it available." — zulezt
Get it from Amazon for $7.98 .
20. Or a bottle of Mike's Hot Honey they'll pretty much refuse to share with you when you visit because it's just that dang good *and* versatile enough to use on pretty much anything.
Reviewers say it pairs perfectly with fruit salad, pizza, pork chops, baked beans, fried chicken, and more — I've even dipped my potato chips in the honey and it immediately upgraded my otherwise bland chips!
Promising review: "I bought this as a Valentine's Day gift for my hot honey (see what I did there?) He LOVES it! He puts it on everything! I should've gotten the two-pack..." — Elizabeth J Mitchell
Get it from Amazon for $6.99 .
Bek, an editor here at BuzzFeed, gave Mike's Hot Honey a try so you can read her full review to find out why she thinks it's the bee's knees.
21. A ticket stub diary because every time you visit, you're greeted by scattered stubs from concerts, Broadway shows, and plays all over their desk and they might appreciate a nice way to organize those souvenirs.
Promising review: "I still can't get over what a great idea this is. I had an envelope of random ticket stubs that I was always worried about losing that now are organized and look great. It's a really beautiful way to show some respect to the memories attached to the little scraps of paper. " — Bonna
Get it from Uncommon Goods for $14 or from Amazon for $12.09 .
22. These fancy-looking Himalayan salt tequila glasses so they can really feel like a baller at the next get-together they host.
Promising review: "These glasses are beautiful and they will definitely impress your friends. They pair great with tequila, and there's obviously no need to salt the rim with these. They have that pure salty taste that you find in high-quality Himalayan salt. Overall they look awesome, taste great, and your friends will definitely be impressed when you break these out! I would definitely recommend." — Gavin
Get a set of four from Amazon for $24.95 .
23. A scratch-off map so they can keep track of all the wonderful places they've traveled to and all the ones they'll see eventually — maybe even with you by their side.
Promising review: "I gifted my brother at Christmas with this world scratch-off map as he has traveled a lot. It was shipped in a sturdy tube and arrived in good condition. He couldn’t wait to start the process of uncovering all the places he has been. He plans to frame it with no glass so he can continue to reveal locations he travels to." — peggy
Get it from Amazon for $25.99+ .
24. And this beautiful box full of EXACTLY what they asked for...
Promising review: "The box is made of sturdy material and comes with a little card on the inside (you could hide a little gift card under there if you wanted to 😋). I can’t wait to see his face when he gets this. Perfect for that person who 'doesn’t want anything.'" — Melody V.
Get it from Amazon for $9.87 .
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.
Looking for more great Amazon finds? Check out some of our favorite cheap things to buy on Amazon, some of the weirdest things on Amazon you might actually want, or read through all the rest of our incredible Amazon product recommendations.
BBNaija: "You Are My Number 1 And 2" – Laycon Tells Neo (Video)BBNaija: Laycon reveals plans for Erica, Neo reveals that he's like Ozo to Vee (find out more)Sheriff busts hundreds at illicit indoor wedding reception in QueensWhat Can N5 Buy Nowadays In Nigeria?#BBNaija: Neo can’t handle my fame, he can’t make me happy – Vee