Teenager died after taking cocaine and ecstasy on night out
Nov. 05, 2019
A ‘popular’ teenager collapsed and died in a club after taking ecstasy and cocaine, an inquest has heard.
Seb Costello, 18, was at Club Church, in Leeds, when he became separated from his friends during the early hours of May 25.
The doorman later saw him lying on his back and he was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary, where he went into cardiac arrest and later died.
Forensic pathologist Michael Parsons told the inquest that Seb’s cause of death was ‘MDMA and cocaine intoxication’.
The teenager’s parents paid tribute to their ‘lovely, funny, and kind’ son, who they described as being ‘so popular amongst his many friends’.
Francine Costello had been woken in the night by her phone ringing and assumed it was Seb asking for a lift.
Once they heard what had happened, she and husband Philip Costello rushed to the hospital but when they arrived they were told he had died.
They said: ‘Seb made a mistake one night and paid the ultimate price. Our lives will never be the same without our beautiful boy.’
Seb, a trainee tax assistant with HMRC, had travelled to Leeds especially for a ‘farewell party’ at the club, which included a set with DJ Carl Cox.
His friend Dan Gidley said they arrived at the venue, which announced it was closing before Seb’s death, around 11.30pm.
Seb was described as being sober and ‘fine’ as they entered the event, but later became separated from his friends.
Mr Gidley then tried to ring the teen when he left the club but the phone was answered by a nurse, who refused to disclose any ‘sensitive information’ and asked if he had taken drugs.
The club’s doorman, Kevin Spurr, had received a radio call from a colleague stating that someone had been removed from the nightclub via a fire exit at 4.30am.
When he arrived at the door, he found Seb lying on his back, although he was still conscious and dancing to the music, he told the inquest.
Mr Spurr stated that he could tell the teen was under the influence of drugs.
An ambulance arrived soon after and took Seb to hospital, but he suffered a cardiac arrest on arrival and died shortly before 7am.
Recording her verdict, assistant coroner Sarah Watson said: ‘The deceased was found in a collapsed position on May 25 at Club Church in Leeds.
‘He was taken to Leeds General Infirmary, where he subsequently died. My conclusion as to the cause is that it is a drug related death.’
Long Eaton primary school fire 'was accidental'Coronavirus: Drop plan to reopen primaries to all pupils, ministers urgedJapan launches surprise fireworks to lift spirits amid pandemicGerman politicians don't talk about the virus like other nations. Here's what it meansTransfer test: Five Catholic grammar schools scrap academic selection