Log inLog Out
For YouNewsEntertainmentRelationshipLifestyleSportTechnology
Delhi Police protest High Court order against their colleagues

Titilope Durojaiye

Nov. 05, 2019

Call off 11-hour agitation after assurance by senior officers to address grievances
In an unprecedented sight, thousands of Delhi Police personnel staged a protest here on Tuesday demanding revocation of the judicial order against their colleagues and the alleged failure of the higher officials to assist them.
They ended their nearly 11-hour-long protest after assurance by senior officers that their grievances will be addressed.
The protesters, who were joined by their families, included even Assistant Police Commissioners.
The protest started around 10 a.m. and continued till late evening.
The protesters demanded that the suspension and transfer of police officers ordered by the High Court following the clash with lawyers be revoked. ASIs Pawan Kumar and Kanta Prasad were suspended and Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police Harender Singh and Special Commissioner Sanjay Singh were transferred.
‘Act against lawyers’
AThey demanded that cases be registered against lawyers based on the complaints by injured officers and strict action taken. Among the demands they raised were the right to form a police union and a separate Act for protection of police officers and employees.
The protesters also demanded that the High Court’s order stating that no severe action against lawyers should be taken over the Tis Hazari incident should be challenged in the Supreme Court.
In a statement, they demanded that police security should be taken back from judges and court premises. Also, that no lawyer should be shown leniency by traffic cops and that no lawyer should be allowed inside any police station.
“Our police officer was thrashed mercilessly by lawyers outside Saket Court and not even a case was registered. What are we here for? To get beaten?” said an official who identified himself as constable Ravi.
Amid sloganeering and speeches through the day, several senior officers including the Commissioner of Police Amulya Patnaik tried to pacify the protesters, who demanded “concrete decisions”. Around 1 a.m., Mr. Patnaik addressed the crowd, telling them that this was a testing time for the force and that “we are an enforcement agency and we should abide by the law.”
In a parallel development, two FIRs were registered by Saket Police under relevant sections – one based on a complaint of the officer who was thrashed and another on a complaint by a cab driver, who was also beaten allegedly by lawyers, while the protest was under way.
Sign in to post a message
You're the first to comment.
Say something
Log in