Two murder suspects are on the run after a jailbreak in California as cops offer $5,000 reward and warn public to be alert
Nov. 04, 2019
Two murder suspects escaped Sunday from a central California jail and officials were trying to determine how the men managed to get away.
The Monterey County Sheriff's Office warned the public to be alert and that the men should be considered dangerous.
The escape from the county's Adult Detention Facility occurred early Sunday morning, according to the sheriff's office. No further details of how they escaped were released by authorities.
Santos Fonseca, 21, was being held on $2.25 million bail for murder. He was allegedly responsible for the shooting deaths of two people in early June 2018 in a 'gang-related' incident.
Jonathan Salazar, 20, had been in custody since 2018 and is awaiting trial on an unrelated murder counts 'along with numerous other felony charges,' a sheriff's statement said.
'An investigation is underway to determine their means of escape but, at this time, we can provide no details on that topic,' the statement said. 'Our focus, and resources, are dedicated to locating and returning Fonseca and Salazar to custody.'
A reward of $5,000 is being offered for information leading to the men's arrest.
Both men are five-feet-seven-inches (1.7 meters) tall. Fonseca weighs 150 pounds (68 kilograms) and Salazar weighs 170 pounds (77 kilograms). They each have black hair and brown eyes.
Monterey is a city of about 28,000 people on California's central coast, 100 miles south of San Francisco.
Authorities have asked anyone with information on the escapees' whereabouts to call 831-755-3722.
Coronavirus: Concern at delay to drive-through test bookingPolitical donations: Calls for transparency in NICoronavirus: Evening update as easing of lockdown will allow groups of six to meetBirling Gap: Warning after visitors pictured walking near cliff edgesCoronavirus: Lockdown rush for hens prompts supply concern