Man's best friend: Grandfather has his life saved by his loyal Pomeranian dog named Gucci who woke him up as a massive fire tore through his home
Oct. 08, 2019
A grandfather has credited his loyal Pomeranian named Gucci for saving his life after his house went up in flames while he was sleeping.
George Rutonski, 58, was sound asleep at 11am on Monday before he awoke to his two-year-old dog alerting him to a raging fire making its way through his home in Sydney's south-west.
Due to the dogs quick thinking, Mr Rutonski and Gucci were able to escape unharmed with the hospital later checking the grandfather for smoke inhalation, according to 7 News .
Mr Rutonski said he heard no smoke alarms go off during the blaze and added he 'would be dead' if it wasn't for Gucci.
'As they say, man’s best friend is his dog,' he said.
The fire had started in a sunroom at the back of Mr Rutonski's home and it consumed the house before the roof caved in
Fire investigators were unable to confirm the functionality of all of the alarms but said the blaze was likely set off by a cigarette or a candle.
'I can only recommend you make sure you do have a working smoke alarm,' Robert Jansen from Fire and Rescue NSW said.
'We have to be careful even a little thing such as a cigarette, it's only very small but it can still have a large potential to cause a fire.'
Mr Rutonski's beloved Harley Davidson motorcycle was destroyed in the blaze along with many of his possessions.
The grandfather's house will likely be demolished due to the heavy fire damage.
Biffy Clyro 'waiting' to headline GlastonburyAndy Ruiz shapes up ahead of Anthony Joshua re-match in Saudi ArabiaChinese Integrated Delivery Platform Kaishi Song Raised Millions of Yuan in an Angel Round FundingFamiliar issues plague Bulldogs secondary in USC loss. How does this problem get fixed?Runaway Amish horse causes a stir in Columbia County